Red, Blue, & Green Freshman Interest Group (FIG)
The Red, Blue, & Green Freshman Interest Group (FIG) is a student-engaged community focusing on fostering a culture of sustainability at the University of Mississippi. The program will help students strengthen their knowledge of sustainability, develop change agent skills, and serve as campus resources. In this community, students will live and attend class together while becoming more aware of the implications our destabilizing climate can have on the local, regional, and global scales. The group of approximately 20 first year students will develop their own definition of sustainability. The Red, Blue, & Green FIG will be housed in Residential College South (FIG members will also be Residential College South members).
The Office of Sustainability, in partner with campus departments and organizations, will provide a variety of leadership and service related activities such as field trips, study groups, lectures, and community meals designed to give students living in the Red, Blue, & Green FIG the opportunity to:
- Reflect upon concepts of sustainability and conservation
- Identify personal values, strengths and passions
- Develop relationships with students, staff, and faculty, that facilitate learning beyond the classroom
- Foster study groups and discussions regarding common class work, reading, and events
- Develop skills which help them to become engaged scholars and responsible citizens
- Become engaged in campus and community service events
- Take a LIBA 102 environmentally-focused course with peers
Applying for Red, Blue, & Green FIG
Once you have been admitted to the university as a freshman for 2015-16 and have received a WebID and password, you may apply for student housing and the Red, Blue, & Green FIG in MyOleMiss. In the housing application you will select to live in the Red, Blue, & Green FIG residential community which will also serve as your application to Residential College South.
Two essay prompts are included in the application process (250 word maximum for each essay question)
- What do you to expect to gain from your involvement in the Red, Blue, & Green FIG?
- How do you think you might apply this in your everyday life?
Please contact the Office of Sustainability, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions.