Apply to serve as a Green Grove Team Leader!
Green Grove Team Leaders serve in a leadership capacity with the Office of Sustainability’s Green Grove Gameday Recycling Program. Green Grove Team Leaders organize UM’s participation in the EPA Gameday Challenge, a nationwide competition to reduce waste generated as a result of football tailgating. Team Leaders recruit and lead student volunteers through the Grove and Circle to distribute recycling bags and recycling information to tailgaters on two home football game Saturdays. Team Leaders also provide valuable educational outreach to UM students, tailgaters and community members. The 2018 Green Grove Team Leader cohort is limited to 13 students. Please note that the Green Grove Team Leader program is a volunteer leadership opportunity.
To apply to be a Green Grove Team Leader for fall 2018, click here.
The deadline to apply is April 27, 2018.
Green Grove Team Leader Requirements:
- Must have volunteered previously with the Green Grove Program
- Must be available to serve as a Team Leader for two home football games (EPA Challenge Gamedays) and attend regular meetings. On EPA Challenge Gamedays, Team Leaders should expect to serve for a total of 3-3.5 hours (this includes a meeting the week before the game and 2-2.5 hours of service on gameday).
- Attend Green Grove Team Leader orientation (1/2 day)
- Must be in good academic standing and have no active record of university disciplinary action at time of application or appointment.
Green Grove Team Leader Expectations:
• Attend regular group meetings in the Office of Sustainability with Green Grove Gameday Coordinators and sustainability staff
• Represent the Green Grove Program in a professional, friendly and knowledgeable manner (training will be provided)
• Recruit students to volunteer on two EPA Challenge Gamedays, using social media, tabling and other outreach techniques.
• Work two home game Saturdays (prior to the Walk of Champions) for 2- 2.5 hours. During this time Team Leaders will lead groups of volunteers into the Grove or Circle to educate tailgaters and hand out recycling bags.
• Sort recyclables at the Oxford Recycling Center at least once during the fall semester
• Attend a tour of the Oxford Recycling Center.
Benefits of serving as a Green Grove Team Leader:
• Green Grove Team Leaders gain hands-on leadership experience by managing volunteers, thinking critically about program successes and areas for improvement and implementing new ideas as needed.
• Team Leaders will directly impact the success of the gameday recycling program by increasing the effectiveness of volunteer efforts, ensuring clear and accurate recycling information is provided to tailgaters and serving as a knowledgeable and friendly representative of the initiative.
• Team Leaders will gain a better understanding of sustainability topics with a focus on waste reduction. Ambassadors will learn about the importance of recycling and participate in behind-the-scenes tour of the Oxford Recycling Center.