Apply to serve as a Green Grove Team Leader!
Green Grove Team Leaders serve in a leadership capacity with the Office of Sustainability’s Green Grove Gameday Recycling Program. Green Grove Team Leaders organize UM’s participation in the RecycleMania Gameday Challenge, a nationwide competition to reduce waste generated as a result of football tailgating. Team Leaders recruit and lead student volunteers through the Grove and Circle to distribute recycling bags and recycling information to tailgaters on two home football game Saturdays. Team Leaders also provide valuable educational outreach to UM students, tailgaters and community members. The 2019 Green Grove Team Leader cohort is limited to 14 students. Please note that the Green Grove Team Leader program is a volunteer leadership opportunity.
Green Grove Team Leader Applications for Fall 2019 have been extended!
Applications are due at 11:59 pm on June 14th at 11:59 pm.
Green Grove Team Leader Requirements:
- Must be available to serve as a Team Leader for four home football games (a 2-3 hour commitment per game)
- Attend Green Grove Team Leader orientation (1/2 day)
- Attend regular group meetings with the Green Grove Gameday Coordinators and staff
- Must be in good academic standing and have no active record of university disciplinary action at time of application or appointment.
Green Grove Team Leader Expectations:
• Represent the Green Grove Program in a professional, friendly and knowledgeable manner (training will be provided)
• Help recruit students to volunteer on two EPA Challenge Gamedays, and conduct educational outreach using social media, tabling, presentations and other outreach techniques.
• Work three home game Saturdays (prior to the Walk of Champions) for 2- 2.5 hours. During this time Team Leaders will lead groups of volunteers into the Grove or Circle to educate tailgaters and hand out recycling bags.
• Sort recyclables at the Oxford Recycling Center at least once during the fall semester
• Attend a tour of the Oxford Recycling Center.
Benefits of serving as a Green Grove Team Leader:
• Green Grove Team Leaders gain hands-on leadership experience by managing volunteers, thinking critically about program successes and areas for improvement and implementing new ideas as needed.
• Team Leaders will directly impact the success of the gameday recycling program by increasing the effectiveness of volunteer efforts, ensuring clear and accurate recycling information is provided to tailgaters and serving as a knowledgeable and friendly representative of the initiative.
• Team Leaders will gain a better understanding of sustainability topics with a focus on waste reduction.
• Team Leaders will gain a valuable professional experience working with the Office of Sustainability as highly skilled volunteers.