What is Bike Month?
The University of Mississippi recognizes National Bike Month every May. National Bike Month received its designation in 1956, when the League of American Bicyclists began the celebration. Bike Month is meant to promote cycling as a healthy and sustainable alternative for travel.
This month join the National Bike Month Challenge and be part of the biggest group ride ever while challenging yourself and competing for UM. We need your help to represent the University of Mississippi in this national competition. Learn more here!
Bike Month Events:
Maintenance Mondays – Every Monday in May, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- The Ole Miss Bike Shop will host Maintenance Mondays, where our professional bike technicians will teach bike repair and maintenance. The sessions will happen every Monday this month.
Bike To School Day – May 4th 7:30 AM – 9:30 AM
- Includes commuter convoys and breakfast for cyclists on the Union Plaza. Convoys leave from several off campus destinations from 7:30 AM to 8:30 AM, and breakfast served from 8:00 AM to 9:30 AM.
Pedal & Picnic – May 10th & 17th, 10:30 AM
- There will be two Pedal and Picnic events on May 10th and 17th. Groups will meet in front of the Lyceum at 10:30 PM and ride to a free picnic at Lamar Park.
Wear Yellow Day-Group Rides and Oxford Bicycle Club Reformation Discussion, May 18th
- Wear Yellow Day
- A, B, & C team rides from the square (meet at City Hall) leaving at 5:30 pm
- Oxford Bicycle Club – reformation discussion 7pm upstairs conference room Trustmark bank
Bike to Work, May 20
- Bike to Work! Swing by City Hall, 7:30-9 AM, to visit and have some coffee and breakfast snack
Community Group Bike Rides, Saturday, May 21
- Coffee at Highpoint at 8:30 AM, rides from the square following coffee, and gather at the Growler following the ride
Bike To Lunch – May 24th & 31st, TBD
- Groups will meet at noon in front of the Lyceum, to travel to a lunch destination. There will also be a brief Commuting 101 class to teach students the basics about commuting by bike. The date and time for the session is still to be determined.