skip to main content

Office of Sustainability

University of Mississippi

FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions


  • What can I recycle?

    • Plastics 1 and 2 – Check the bottom of your plastic container for the number. Make sure to clean the container or pour out any liquids. It is not necessary to remove lids if your item is already clean.
    • Paper and Cardboard – Paper includes all mixed paper, ranging from envelopes to Post-It Notes and notebook paper. You can recycle old notebooks as long as you take out the spiral coil binding.
    • Aluminum and steel cans – All aluminum cans such as soda cans are accepted. Steel cans refer to items such as shaving cream containers, food cans, etc. Aluminum foil cannot be recycled.
    • E-waste – This includes electronics such as MP3 players, cell phones and cameras. This does not include batteries.
  • Where can I recycle?

    • On campus – Most academic buildings have blue recycling bins near the entrances.
    • In residence halls – All residence halls have recycling bins located in the lobbies on the first floor.  If you can’t find them, ask your CA.
    • Off Campus housing- You can take your recyclables to three possible drop-off sites: The Municipal Center (City Shop) on Molly Barr Road beside the Police Station, on Highway 7 South next to Fire Station #3 or at the Recycling Center at the City of Oxford Landfill on County Road 321 (Pea Ridge Road). You can also sign up for curbside recycling by visiting
  • Why don’t we recycle glass?

Currently, Lafayette County does not have the facilities to recycle glass, which must be taken to Memphis to be recycled.  Transferring the glass to Memphis, would add more of a carbon footprint than would be saved by recycling class.  Alternatively, try to reuse your glass jars as containers, drinking cups, or organizational crafts. You can also choose to purchase products that are packaged in recyclable material. 

  • Is cardboard included in paper recycling?

Yes!  Just make sure to break down all boxes.

  • My department has too much cardboard/paper to fit in a bin.  How can I still recycle it?

First, break down all of the boxes and place in a container.  Then, email to arrange a pick-up time and location.

  • What happens to the materials recycled on campus?

    Recycled materials on campus are taken to the Oxford Recycling Center down South Lamar.


  • What public transportation is available to me in the Oxford/Lafayette community?

The OUT bus operates every day of the week except for Sunday.  The fare is free for students and faculty with an Ole Miss ID.  Most buses run from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Visit their website for more information and to see which where the buses go and which line to catch.

  • Where can I have my bike serviced on campus?

If your bike needs serviced you can take it to the Bike Shop at Ole Miss.  They are open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Check here for pricing.

  • Why should I get my bike registered?

Registering your bike adds it to the Ole Miss database, which allows the university to gather data to ensure that there is enough parking and amenities for bikes on campus.  Registering your bike also helps UPD recover it in case it is stolen or lost.

  • Where can I get my bike registered?

Fill out this registration form and then take it to the Department of Parking & Transportation in Lester Hall Room 120 to receive your permit sticker.


  • Where can I get vegetarian food on campus?

Most places on campus have vegetarian options. Freshii is great choice for vegetarian options. They have wraps, bowls, salads, soups, and more. They also offer tofu as a protein source. The Rebel Market also offers vegetarian options such as sushi, salad, pizza, stir fry, and veggie burgers.

    • Vegan Food?

Freshii has many vegan options.  If something is not vegan (usually because it includes cheese), you can always ask for a substitute.  You can also check the Rebel Market and the Grill at 1810’s daily menus online to see what they are serving each specific meal of the day with dietary labels.

  • How can I get a hydration station installed in my building?

You will need to request departmental funding or you can request funding from the Green Fund by writing a proposal. (If you go the Green Fund route, it is still recommended that the department for which you are requesting the hydration station provide a portion of the funding.) If you are having problems with your existing water fountain, Facilities Management may be able to install a small hydration station over the existing water fountain. There is a cost associated with this method that the department will have to pick up, but it is much lower than installing a larger hydration station.

  • Can I compost my personal food scraps through the UM Compost Program?

Because of space restrictions at the compost site, you cannot currently compost personal food scraps through the UM Compost Program.

  • Can I garden on campus?

Absolutely! The UM Garden Club was established on September 7, 2015. Members grow fresh produce for themselves and for the UM Food Bank. Gardeners of all experience levels are welcome! To stay connected, email


  • What does LEED certification mean?

LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is a rating system that measures the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings, homes and neighborhoods.  Buildings are given points based on categories such as sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, and indoor environmental quality.