Eco Reps Mission
The mission of the Eco Reps program is to effectively educate and empower students within their residential communities to act as environmental stewards, while simultaneously providing opportunities for involvement in campus sustainability. The Eco Reps program is interested in building capacity and community in our most valuable resource for positive cultural change: our students.
Participants in the Eco Reps program have the opportunity to do the following:
- Learn about sustainability and environmental issues
- Conduct sustainability-related outreach and plan and promote educational sustainability-related programming
- Engage peers in creating a sustainable community within the residence hall and connect students to important resources on campus
- Collect concerns and questions regarding resource management and conservation issues on campus
Eco Rep Leaders
Apply to be an Eco Rep!
Eco Reps coordinate and lead sustainability programming in the residence halls. Eco Reps also create educational marketing materials, coordinate volunteer efforts, and provide a vital connection between first-year residential students and the Office of Sustainability. The Eco Reps cohort is limited to 12 positions. There will be specific Eco Rep Leader positions reserved for those interested in marketing and communications, as well as event planning, as well.
Eco Rep Leader Requirements:
- May live on or off campus
- Must have completed at least one semester of school at the University of Mississippi
- Must be able to participate for 1 full semester (can also participate for a full year).
- Must have a minimum 2.60 cumulative grade point average.
- Must be in good academic standing and have no active record of university disciplinary action at time of application or appointment.
Eco Rep Leader Expectations:
- Participate for the full Fall 2018 semester.
- Work a minimum of 3 hours per week.
- Attend weekly group meetings.
- Attend initial retreat in September.
- Present yourself professionally as a role model for sustainability on campus.
- Facilitate at least one sustainability presentation on campus each semester (training will be provided).
Benefits of serving as an Eco Rep Leader:
- Eco Rep Leaders have the opportunity to directly improve the Ole Miss community by increasing environmental awareness and generating a sense of community around environmental stewardship.
- Eco Rep Leaders create important mentor-mentee relationships with residential students, many of whom are freshmen, transfer students, or international students.
- Eco Rep Leaders get valuable experience coordinating outreach, events, and learn about many different aspects of sustainability on the Ole Miss campus. This experience provides a foundation for students interested in pursuing internships or careers in environmental sustainability.
Eco Rep Leader applications are now open for Fall of 2018 and Spring of 2019!